Usually, I make just plain ol' cake balls but I've made some with red velvet as well. I've yet to make any of the cake pops but I'm excited to sometime.
What do you need to make them? The ingredients are the best/easiest part.
- Any variety of cake mix you'd like plus the ingredients to make the cake itself (usually eggs, oil, and water)
- 1 can of Cream Cheese Frosting (I like to use Betty Crocker Whipped Cream Cheese Frosting)
- Melting chocolate
- Decorations (I usually use jimmies/nonpareils as shown in the above photo)
These make great crowd-pleasers and they're also excellent gifts. I used flower vases and ribbon from Target to create these beauties which I used as thank you gifts at my last job.
Here's how you assemble these if you're interested in giving them as a gift -
- Layer the cake balls carefully, one on top of the other, into a tall glass flower vase (that's clean)
- Cut a small square of plastic wrap, just enough to cover the top of the vase
- Wrap the top of the vase with the plastic wrap tightly so that it sticks and keeps the vase sealed
- Tie a nice ribbon around the top (to cover the edges of the plastic wrap) and finish with a bow