Recent Posts

Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Paper makes it possible



Recently, I've gone on a blog following-rampage of sorts (don't worry, not violent in the least). In my quest to discover all the awesome that's out there in the home decorating, baking, and crafting universe, I discovered Paul Overton's DudeCraft. It's a very entertaining read and includes lots of tutorials, including one for Paper Portraits. I loved what Paul created and decided- yes, this will be a great present for Gus!


The above paper portrait (2nd photo) I created as a tester for the one I did for Gus. I made it for a friend of mine at work who worships Angelina Jolie. The original photo came from a snapshot of her looking at a photograph at the MOMA in LA.




The process for doing paper portraits is fairly simple and straightforward - just make sure you have a great x-acto knife and re-positionable spray mount. I encourage you to check out Paul's blog and tutorial linked here to make your own magic with paper. As you'll see from the one I did for Gus, the cutting can become complex if you use a complex photo - so be careful when choosing your first subject.


Without further adieu, may I present the actual present for my Gus Gus on his 24th birthday - a salute to our song, "You've Got a Friend in Me."


ORIGINAL PHOTO



POSTERIZED PHOTO (thanks Picnik)



BEAUTIFULLY AWESOME PAPER PORTRAIT 
Framed in a 12" by 12" Record Album Frame




Yay paper portraits!

Linking up to

6 comments:

hjn said...

This is beautiful!! I have never seen this before! I just love it!

Aimee Cotton Bogush said...

That is fabulous!!!! Mind is racing with the possibilities. Thanks for sharing such a great project!

Dolores said...

Awe, what a sweet and sentimental gift! It looks amazing. Great job!

Miss Mustard Seed said...

Very cool projects! I love what you can do with a computer these days.

House of Smiths said...

Woah.. That' is really neat! Totally creative! Love you blog!
Shelley

OoroO said...

This is so cool Annie! I love it!

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails